Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Great Wall of China

In front of Badaling sector of the Great Wall

After one day staying in Beijing we were asked by many people on the streets if we want to go for a trip to see The Great Wall. I was prepared to pay around 150 Yuen per person for that pleasure as I checked on internet at home but since there is winter we were able to get tickets for a hundred Yuen per person. I thought that we were so lucky but later on we found out that some Chinese people from the same trip paid 50 Yuen per person. This annoyed me a lot all the time we stayed in Beijing!! People cheat on everything but I wasn’t going to write about it here…
As everybody knows The Great Wall of China (长城; Chángchéng) is a series of stone and earthen fortifications built many centuries ago in order to protect Chinese Empire from attacks.




We visited the Great Wall at Badaling 八达岭 (Eight Prominent Peaks) sector, located at Yanqing County 70 km northwest of Beijing. It is the first section of the Great Wall to be opened to tourists. It was built in 1571 and was repaired in 1957. It is considered the best preserved wall construction. The section is about 5 km long with 19 watchtowers. There were many shops and sellers around which made the place commercialized. And I must say that sellers in there were like flies. You hardly could get rid of them. All of them want you to buy souvenirs over there. We climbed the left part of the Badaling wall which is steeper but gives a better scenery of the wall. Going down was even harder than going up. I will never forget that feeling when I was up there. We took many weird and funny pictures there:) It was amazing. I wish that all parts of The Great Wall were preserved as good as Badaling wall.

My warrior at the Great Wall

And a princess itself on a camel..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter